How Honey Can Help Get Rid of Acne
By: Ariana Palmieri
Do you suffer from acne? It's okay, a lot of people do. Sadly, most over the counter treatments for acne are loaded with chemicals and are super pricey. Honey is a much more affordable, natural alternative. Here's how honey can help get rid of acne.
How honey treats acne
Did you know honey is an antiseptic? This means it prevents the growth of disease causing organisms. That's bad news for the bacteria in your pores: It basically stops the acne on your face from getting any worse. That's because honey releases low levels of hydrogen peroxide that disinfects your skin. Honey's acidic properties and high sugar concentration also impair bacteria's ability to replicate. In other words, applying an antiseptic (such as honey) to a fully developed pimple or whitehead can stop the infection in your pore from getting worse. Honey also fights inflammation, which helps prevent the swelling and redness that usually come with acne. Handy, right?
The benefits of using honey to treat acne:
Now that you know how honey treats acne, here are some perks that come with it:
- Honey will not dry out your skin. Unlike most over the counter acne treatments, honey is a natural humectant. This means it preserves moisture in your skin and can prevent some peeling and dryness that other acne treatments can cause.
- Honey is all natural. This means there's less of a chance for your skin to have a negative reaction to it. Most of the chemicals used in over the counter acne treatments can seriously damage your skin, or worse, enter your blood stream. This can cause health problems further down the line.
- Honey doesn't cost nearly as much as over the counter treatments. Also, it's significantly less money than anything a dermatologist would prescribe (some prescribed acne treatment medications can cost $300 and up!).
How to use honey to fight acne:
Ready to give honey a try for yourself? Here are some easy tips and tricks that will help get rid of those pesky pimples.
- First, make sure you invest in some raw honey, such as the honey Beezy Beez sells. We do not process our honey products which is a good thing: Processed honey can irritate your skin and make your acne worse.
- Use honey as a face mask: This will let honey really work its magic. Just apply it all over your face and let it sit for 20 minutes. Make sure to rinse it off using warm water. Do this at least once or twice a week for the best results.
- Use it as a spot treatment: Have one annoying pimple? Maybe two? Apply some honey to it and leave it on overnight. Make sure to rinse it off in the morning! If you want to increase the effectiveness of this remedy, try applying ice to your pimple (cover it in cloth) first for a few minutes. This really helps reduce swelling, redness and inflammation. Then, take the ice away and apply honey to the affected area.
- Use it as a cleanser: Honey cannot take off makeup, but it can cleanse your skin of other impurities that may be the cause of your acne. Make sure all your makeup is removed before doing this (use a gentle makeup remover beforehand). Next, take a small amount of raw honey and massage it into your skin for at least 30 seconds, concentrating on problem areas. When you're done, rinse off thoroughly and pat dry with a wash cloth.
Remember to use raw honey, if you try any of these natural remedies for acne. Honey that’s been processed will not produce the desired results you're looking for. Stick to Beezy Beez's local raw honey and you can't go wrong: Its full of the acne fighting properties your skin needs.
Ariana Palmieri is a green beauty blogger who strives to live as eco-friendly as possible. In July 2015 she started her blog, Greenify-Me, to document her own journey with sustainable products and makeup that would benefit the environment. In her spare time she loves to read wellness-related books, devour sushi, drink bubble tea with her boyfriend, and befriend stray cats.